Help to install KolibriOS, to hard disk.

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Attached is extensa original 355 bios firmware, that I´ve saved using Aflash.
    Attachments
    355bios (256 KiB)
    Downloaded 217 times
  • BIOS rom flashed with 2R3 version, shows no changes in BIOS set up screen or KolibriOS
    start menu. :?
  • Dandielsoy: I think Yogev Ezra was talking about the VGA bios, it's another kind of firmware which is programmed into the graphics card itself.
    On the following webpage, there is more information about this firmware for the CT65550: ftp://ftp.prosoft.ru/pub/Hardware/Octag ... README.htm
    I believe however, that the display in your system is a NEC Versa 2635CD (and has a resolution of 800x600) for which no information is listed.
    Most likely, modes 640x480x16bit and 800x600x16bit are implemented in the VESA bios, but not supported by KolibriOS...

I personally would advice not to mess with this :)
    Here is a program that will show all details about the VESA bios: http://mikedld.com/f/kolibri/vesa4.zip
    It should be run in plain dos mode AFAIK.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • OK, Last hope...
    Attachments
    vesa probe4.JPG
    vesa probe4.JPG (110.55 KiB)
    Viewed 5837 times
  • danielsoy wrote:OK, Last hope...
    You did not run it from pure DOS, you ran it from win95?
    If I recall correctly, there is an option 'reboot into DOS mode' when shutting down windows.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • yes,from windows.

cant make it from DOS, cause programm name is large, and I dont know where P :mrgreen: 1 character,
    may be found...
    Attachments
    PICT0030.JPG
    PICT0030.JPG (121.74 KiB)
    Viewed 5828 times
  • rename exe file to pi.exe :)
  • Already renamed to vesa, mesa, teresa , :lol: but results are the same.

I would like to listen some mp3 songs in KolibriOS, before take 355 to the twilight zone.

Guees she will not reaches silicon heaven. :twisted:
  • hidnplayr wrote:Dandielsoy: I think Yogev Ezra was talking about the VGA bios, it's another kind of firmware which is programmed into the graphics card itself.
    I was actually talking of the regular BIOS, because a newer regular BIOS usually contains updated VGA BIOS, so it was worth a try to update the regular BIOS. It's risky to update just the VGA BIOS itself, so it's safer to update the regular BIOS. But if updating the regular BIOS did not add any new VESA modes, then it is possible to try to update VGA BIOS separately (just keep in mind that you can "brick" your laptop and make it totally useless if the update goes wrong).
    danielsoy wrote:Already renamed to vesa, mesa, teresa , :lol: but results are the same.
    You did not understand. Just rename "vesa_probe4.exe" to "vesa.exe" in Windows95, and then run "vesa.exe" in pure DOS (or DOS mode), not in DOS window.
  • just keep in mind that you can "brick" your laptop and make it totally useless if the update goes wrong

If case, is not possible to re-flash video bios , wiring it direct to a eeprom programmer via another PC with rs232 or PPort?

Did that one time, in a ibm 21m laptop that had bios password protected, and crc error if i remember well.

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopi ... &start=300

BTW, how can make it in pure DOS, if got no FDD?
  • danielsoy wrote:BTW, how can make it in pure DOS, if got no FDD?
    Reboot into dos mode, like you showed in last screenshot should be OK.
  • It seems this program cannot detect VESA modes, or it has to be run in real MS-DOS and not Windows 95 DOS mode.
    Please try a different program (run it in Windows 95 DOS mode). Download the attached ZIP file and run "MODETEST.EXE" (also read 550util.txt file for instructions).
    Attachments
    55XTOOLS.ZIP (128.28 KiB)
    Downloaded 211 times
  • http://www.dosdriver.de/graph.php
    In DOS, if you want graphics above the VGA-modes, you need the VESA BIOS EXTENSIONS (VBE). Often cards only support a limited subset of VESA modes and there are different versions of the VESA standard (1.2, 2.0, 3.0).
    You can gain full VESA support if you have a card specific VESA driver.
    His card probably needs specific driver?