Contribution to KolibriOS

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hi,
    I just copied your message from the e-mail you have sent me, because I don't know the answers to everything, so it's better that other people also see this message so they can answer you.
    Loic wrote:I'am programming with Masm, so maybe I need to form myself with Fasm.
    I have another question about the devel environment ?
    Is it possible to develop on Windows the program and directly generate a bin for KolibriOS,
    or I must be in OS directly to develop, (I'm on virtualbox, so it's more slow :-( ).
    Programming with FASM is preferred for KolibriOS (because this is the main language we use), but any other language is also OK as long as it's supported in KolibriOS. MASM is supported: http://diamond.kolibrios.org/hll/hll_eng.htm

You can develop in Windows and generate a bin file for KolibriOS (just read the article I have linked above). In fact, FASM, TinyC and Oberon are the only languages where you can develop directly inside KolibriOS - with all other languages, you need to develop in another OS (like Windows or Linux) and then generate the bin file for KolibriOS.
  • Loic wrote:I'm contacting you, because I'm interested to contribute to KolibriOS.

Currently, I'm working on a clone of the unix command : file.
    With this command you can identify the type of file.

But I will try to do more, like manage the zip file, view pdf, etc...
    Do you already have a tool like this tool ?

I'am programming with Masm, so maybe I need to form myself with Fasm.
    I have another question about the devel environment ?
    Is it possible to develop on Windows the program and directly generate a bin for KolibriOS,
    or I must be in OS directly to develop, (I'm on virtualbox, so it's more slow :-( ).

Thank you for you help
    Loïc
    Welcome!

Unpacking of zip files is already supported (even the 7zip format).
    The current support is limited to the program KFAR, the unpacker is in a library called kfar_arc.

There has been some effort to port a PDF library but I'm not aware of the current status, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1958 (in russian).

I suggest you try to use FASM for your coding, It will allow you to better understand existing program sources etc.

Happy coding
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein