Black Screen after setup menu

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • First suggestion: try download night build (from kolibrios.org/en/ ), then replace kolibri.img to new version
    Second suggestion: there's something wrong with boot options. You should select appropriate boot source (for memdisk it should floppy, I suppose), and good video mode. Intel 945 is well supported.
  • 1. What the available video modes in the blue boot menu?
    2. What is the total size of the hard disk?
    Всем чмоки в этом проекте! Засуньте эти 11 лет себе в жопу!
  • @SoUrcerer
    If a floppy is required to make this work, then I won't proceed. If a floppy is not required, then I would be interested in getting this to run.

I suspected the video is supported on this hardware, but the memdisk could be the issue, and I will investigate that. However, if it is a certainty that a floppy is required to get Kolibri to work, and Kolibri cannot be adapted to run on a hard disk partition, that is good information for people to know outright...

Thanks for the suggestions, and I do have a copy of the night build to try, and I'll post that outcome after I'm sure I haven't already tried that, because I think the files are named the same, and I might have already tried the night build.

Oh well, thanks again!

@Mario_r4
    I already tried all the combinations of video modes to no avail... and I set Kolibri on a dedicated 10 GB fat 32 partition.
  • As to appropriate source of a ram disk... According to the Kolibri setup menu there are 4 options...

1 Floppy
    2 c:\kolibri.img (fat 32)
    3 Use preloaded ram.img from kernel restart
    4 Create blank image

Being new to all this, my thinking was that the memdisk should probably have set up the ram disk for the kernel... I don't know for sure, maybe it does or doesn't, but I would think this points to not having to use a floppy to load the image, and I was hoping grub could do that, and I suspect it can if given the right commands and having the right files at hand.

Just in case I have tried all the combinations.

However, a little progress has been made! :D

It turns out I had not tried the nightly image, and I do get past the setup menu, but not far. I'm still thinking there is a memdisk issue. I used memdisk following suggestions elsewhere here at this site as this being the proper way to start Kolibri from grub2. This is how far I get now...

After the setup menu, using the nightly image...
    The screen goes black and small white letters appear in the upper left corner of the screen. It looks like Kolibri starts but hangs up eventually... But this is how far it gets...

Initialize IRQ
    Initialize PIC
    Initialize System V86 Machine
    Initialize System Timer (IRQ0)
    Try to initialize APIC
    Enable Interrupts 2, 6, 13, 14, 15
    Enable Interrupts in IDE Controller
    Search Floppy Drives
    Search Hard Drives and ATAPI Drives
    Get Memory for Cache
    Search Partitions on Disk Drives

... and then it hangs up...
  • No, floppy is not required, of course, but memdisk emulates floppy, so Kolibri thinks it is booting from floppy, so you have to set ram source to floppy unless you setted everything okay on your hd or switch to another bootloader (mtldr ?), which will load image directly to RAM.
    About hang up: try to disable "visible from bios disks"
  • @SoUrcerer

Thanks again! You are so right about the floppy emulation! I was continuing to work on this configuration and that was the last thing I changed and v o i l a!!! Kolibri is booted and running!

However this is what I did at last that is currently working...

I wiped the Kolibri partition of the image and associated files...

I simply parked the nightly iso file on the partition, along with memdisk. Then I changed the entry in the grub.cfg file to this form...

menuentry "KolibriOS" {
    insmod part_msdos
    set root='(/dev/sda,msdos10)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root XXXX-XXXX
    linux16 /memdisk iso
    initrd16 /kolibri.iso
    }

This simply instructs memdisk to deal with an iso instead of an image... keeps things simple for me...

I had already disabled "visible from bios disks," but the last thing I did was to follow your suggestion of leaving the source of the ram disk set to option 1 - floppy. When I did that, it booted right into Kolibri! Issue solved for me for now!

This is what I wanted, to have a small dedicated area for Kolibri so I could update it and play with it as it gets developed!

Thanks!
  • Congratulations! Now you'd better set up development tools for Kolibri, like compilers etc.