sec_loader?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Yes, they are optional. :) Secondary loader is attempt to create good KolibriOS bootloader ;)
  • Sorcerer wrote:Yes, they are optional. :) Secondary loader is attempt to create good KolibriOS bootloader ;)
    Wow fast reply! Thanks...

I have got another question... But I don't want to open a new thread just for this: Is there a list of the programs that come with kolibrios 0.7.70 that contains their function? Also I saw that there are two filesystem managers... Are they the same? Lastly, if I build the kernel without including some programms will the icons on the desktop still be there?

Thanks again..
  • Nickolas wrote:Is there a list of the programs that come with kolibrios 0.7.70 that contains their function?
    Function of programs or function of sec_loader or function of KolibriOS 0.7.7.0? :oops: Can you please re-word your question, it's impossible to understand now :roll:
    Nickolas wrote:Also I saw that there are two filesystem managers... Are they the same?
    There are actually 3 file managers: Eolite, Kfar, KFM. Why there are 3 is because each programmer thinks that his file manager is the best one :lol: Basically all 3 of them provide very similar functionality - you can use any of them, or just the one you liked most.
    Nickolas wrote:Lastly, if I build the kernel without including some programms will the icons on the desktop still be there?
    I think to have this question answered, you need to specify what do you want to exclude? :roll:
  • 1) May be you can description of programs on wiki - http://wiki.kolibrios.org
    I don't know about english pages, but I know that you can find info about programs in russian (may be you should use google translate to understand it)

2) There are at least 4 filemanagers :D SysXTree, KFar, KFM and Eolite. KFar supports plugins and archives. KFM can copy big files faster then KFar. Eolite have pretty-looking interface. SysXTree is old and useless now.

3) ICON application is for icons on desktop. You can use ICON from the trunk, or alternative ICON application (with "move icon" function)

p.s. Do you know about nightly builds? http://builds.kolibrios.org <-Here you can download lastest build of OS.
    Also, many apps and libs aren't included on live floppy or cd. For example: zsea, lua, mesa, cairo, freetype.
  • Sorcerer wrote:1) May be you can description of programs on wiki - http://wiki.kolibrios.org
    I don't know about english pages, but I know that you can find info about programs in russian (may be you should use google translate to understand it)

2) There are at least 4 filemanagers :D SysXTree, KFar, KFM and Eolite. KFar supports plugins and archives. KFM can copy big files faster then KFar. Eolite have pretty-looking interface. SysXTree is old and useless now.

3) ICON application is for icons on desktop. You can use ICON from the trunk, or alternative ICON application (with "move icon" function)

p.s. Do you know about nightly builds? http://builds.kolibrios.org <-Here you can download lastest build of OS.
    Also, many apps and libs aren't included on live floppy or cd. For example: zsea, lua, mesa, cairo, freetype.
    I am planning to make my custom kolibri build as lightweight as possible... Could I get some help on what to delete?
  • AFAIK, you need only kernel.mnt, lib/libini.obj and autorun.dat.
    You'll need wallpaper (you can use PIC4 wallpaper generator). Then you can launch any program - KFar, for example. Also, very useful program is Board, without it you can't read debug information (and error messages, of course).
  • Sorcerer wrote:AFAIK, you need only kernel.mnt, lib/libini.obj and autorun.dat.
    You'll need wallpaper (you can use PIC4 wallpaper generator). Then you can launch any program - KFar, for example. Also, very useful program is Board, without it you can't read debug information (and error messages, of course).
    And what about other programms? For example, I know that there are 4 filesystem magers so I can delete the 3 I don't want.. Are there any other programms which are doubles?
  • Nickolas wrote:And what about other programms? For example, I know that there are 4 filesystem magers so I can delete the 3 I don't want.. Are there any other programms which are doubles?
    You can delete anything you do not use - it's not like Windows where you have to keep the Windows Explorer. You can delete all the games for example (if you do not use them).
  • note that some programs use libraries.box_lib,opendialog,libini,console are very popular.You can't launch tinypad without opendialog,and htmlview without boxlib,for example.
  • yogev_ezra wrote:
    Nickolas wrote:And what about other programms? For example, I know that there are 4 filesystem magers so I can delete the 3 I don't want.. Are there any other programms which are doubles?
    You can delete anything you do not use - it's not like Windows where you have to keep the Windows Explorer. You can delete all the games for example (if you do not use them).
    OK but if I do so will the desktop icons automatically dissapear? (I mean the icons of the programms I delete..) Or will I have to use ICON and remove the icons automatically?
  • Nickolas wrote:OK but if I do so will the desktop icons automatically dissapear? (I mean the icons of the programms I delete..) Or will I have to use ICON and remove the icons automatically?
    You will have to use ICON and remove the icons manually.
  • yogev_ezra wrote:
    Nickolas wrote:OK but if I do so will the desktop icons automatically dissapear? (I mean the icons of the programms I delete..) Or will I have to use ICON and remove the icons automatically?
    You will have to use ICON and remove the icons manually.
    Is there a way to do this before building? Where exactly in the kernel source does the icons code lie?

Thanks for your help BTW. :)
  • if you delete ICON, all icons will be disappear.kernel doesnt contain any icon-related code
  • I wonder what is your target for KolibriOS image size?
    Currently it's 1.44MB - what size do you want to get in the end?
    Maybe this will help us advise you what to delete and what to keep.