Kernel Editing Problems

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • 1) load an official distro,
    2) run a file manager. MSDOS-users may prefere KFAR - it looks like old-and-good Norton Commander
    3) in KFAR press <Alt>-<F2> and choose the disk where your new kernel source files located (it has to be a FAT-disk to avoid file writing problems)
    4) jump to the right panel (<Tab>) and enter the source directory (keep /rd/1 on your left panel)
    5) load kernel.asm with tinypad text editor (starts by default when you choose an .asm-file),
    6) in tinypad menu click Run, then Compile.
    7) return to KFAR: a new file KERNEL should appear. Copy it to the left panel (<F5>) as /rd/1/kernel.mnt
    8 ) on the left panel, run kerpack
    9) run rdsave to store kolibri.img back to your disk.
    10) reboot.

I tried it, but I failed, sorry guys.
    I loaded kernel.asm which is in kernel directory with tinypad, and clicked run-compile, but after that I couldn't see any KERNEL file..

What's wrong about this? Someone please help me compiling.. '~'
  • I'm sure you have some errors while compiling.May be you haven't some files,or have problems with folder structure?
    I think you should check file "lang.Inc".If you haven't such file then create it.this file should be with one string:
    fix lang en
  • Okay help! I am new here! And I don't know how to edit a kernel and I downloaded the SDK of KolibriOS and I have no Idea how to use!! And When I use the kernel build.bat thingy it says there's something wrong with the FASM something, here's the message:

Language '' is incorrect
    Enter valid language [ en ru ge et ]:
    >en
    *** building kernel with language 'en' ...
    'fasm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    error: fasm execution failed
    Press any key to continue . . .
  • Hi,
    first of all, you need to download FASM from here:

http://flatassembler.net/

and set the path to FASM.EXE as a system variable,
    then the problem with BUILD.BAT will be automatically resolved.
  • Addition:
    You need to download FASM and to place the console version fasm.exe in the directory of the kernel source code. Another method is to place FASM in one of the ways to output the command "path" in the CMD (console of Windows).