Help modifying source code!

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hello, hello. Welcome again in hell forum of Kolibri operating system (joke). :D

As i wrote previously, i don't try create image file on 2.88 Mb.

Today i'd try made image file on 2.88 Mb, like in bootloader description and i must disillusion you, this method do not work. Booting only blue screen with KolibriOS settings, then black screen and all.

But if interest you, i can describe all steps by creation such image file, maybe working of you.

1. First you need WinImage v7.0 programme.
    2. In kernel sources of KolibriOS, need create bootloader on 2.88 Mb.
    3. Open kolibri.img in WinImage programme, change format on 2.88 Mb (menu path: image / change format / Standard format 2.88 Mb).
    4. Save changes (press on floppy disc picture).
    5. Do you need is delete old kolibri bootloader in boot sector (menu path: image / boot sector properties / reset / ok).
    6. Write there new bootloader in boot sector, which you made in step two. (menu path: image / boot sector properties / open / ok).
    7. Save changes (press on floppy disc picture). That's all, have fun.
    Last edited by Rock_maniak_forever on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • hehe okay, as you described, that doesn't work, another question, where is APM located? (Blue Screen)? Sorry for all these questions :D
  • Blue screen appear at KolibriOS loading.
  • Penry wrote: another question, where is APM located? (Blue Screen)?
    boot/bootcode.inc
  • ah thanks :)
  • last question (for now :P) how do I get Dos Box to run? I have put it in my .iso, and can successfully launch it from Kolibri, but how do I run a program?
  • Rock_maniak_forever wrote: Today i'd try made image file on 2.88 Mb, like in bootloader description and i must disillusion you, this method do not work. Booting only blue screen with KolibriOS settings, then black screen and all.
    That's because the default KolibriOS bootloader recognises 1.44M images only.
    There is a RAMDISK field in memory (see const.inc) that curently covers 1,572,864 bytes in memory.

If you want to load a greater .img-file, try to expand this area (carefully!), and change the read_image: code (boot/rdload.inc) as well.
  • I will try do this. Thank you.
  • Penry wrote:how do I get Dos Box to run? I have put it in my .iso, and can successfully launch it from Kolibri, but how do I run a program?
    Long answer - read readme.txt for DosBox. Short answer - the command
    mount c /hd0/1/path
    will create the virtual drive C: inside DosBox from the folder /hd0/1/path. Now the command
    C:
    will set this drive as default, and
    someexe
    subdir\someexe
    will run someexe.exe (or .com, or .bat from the current directory on current hard drive),
    art_zh wrote:That's because the default KolibriOS bootloader recognises 1.44M images only.
    No. This is not the only reason, this is not the main reason (and in fact when using mtldr this is not a reason at all).
    art_zh wrote:If you want to load a greater .img-file, try to expand this area (carefully!), and change the read_image: code (boot/rdload.inc) as well.
    No. This will not work. The main obstacle is that the code of ramdisk file system can handle only standard FAT12 floppy images, and this can not be removed with simple and small fix.
  • Hey guys, I'm back (Hooray)! Firstly, I've got to say, you guys have helped me so much, I have heavily modified Kolibri, but I have two problems...

1.) You know the APM? I cant figure out how to change the text in it, I only changed the text that says "Kolibri come with absolutely no warranty" or something like that. However, I cannot figure out how to change, for example, the text that says "Kolibri OS version 0.7.7.0" or "Virtualbox VBE Bios http://www.virtualbox.org/".

2.) How do I change the color of "Menu" Button when I enter the operating system. By "Menu" Button I mean the button that represents "Start" on windows. And also on this matter, where is the whole bottom bar when you enter the operating system located? (What file).

• Penry
    Why do you need to modify all these messages?
    The color of menu button on the panel is fixed deeply inside @panel.asm.
  • Add extra, change, curious too.
  • Penry

Just to remind: KolibriOS has a Licence.

Whatever curious change you make, please don't miss

1) a honourable reference to Kolibri Team and kolibrios.org;

2) the warranty disclaim message.

Also, you must expose all the kernel codes you modified as an open-source.
    Only a 100%-independent code can be left as "proprietary yours", but a kernel with some modified startup messages is evidently not such a case. :wink:

There is a file in your kernel source folder (COPYING.TXT) that contains all the legal details.
  • Yes I know :)
    I also have found what I needed, thanks guys!