files of the kernel

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • To compile the kernel, you need all the files in the 'kernel/trunk' directory on the SVN server. (except the ones in 'drivers' folder)
    You can also download these files zipped from the 'download' page on the main site, they're called 'kernel [sources]' ;)

You can compile the kernel using FASM on windows/linux/KolibriOS/.. all you need to do is compile kernel.asm.
    Fasm will output a file kernel.bin, you need to rename it to kernel.mnt
    (You can also use a script to compile it, compile.bat on windows, make.sh on linux)

'The execution of system step by step', you mean like a debugger?
    To debug applications, you can use 'mtdbg' program on KolibriOS.
    To debug the kernel itself, it's more difficult, I believe the easiest sollution is to run it in BOCHS.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • I have downloaded these files zipped from the 'download' page on the main site
    but I've had this problem :?
    Language '' is incorrect
    Enter valid language [ en ru ge et ]:
    >en
    *** building kernel with language 'en' ...
    flat assembler version 1.67.38 (65536 kilobytes memory)
    fs/fs.inc [767]:
    jc err
    error: invalid operand.
    error: fasm execution failed
    Presione una tecla para continuar . . .
    Should I download the kernel of SVN server? :?:

• The zip file on the download page is collected from the SVN server, and has the SVN revision number in the filename.
    Revision #1063 should be able to compile just fine (as most revisions..)

Did you edit any files?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • That was fixed in revision 1047 by heavyron with this note: "small fix to correct compiling with fasm 1.67.34"
    Simply, label err was replaced to error in file
  • With explanations that you have told me, I've compiled the kernel :D

How can I execute into a floppy?

Could I execute the kernel into Windows? :roll:

Thank you very much
  • If you are using a real floppy, just overwrite the existing file 'kernel.mnt' with the one you compiled.

To test the kernel while you're in windows, you need an emulator such as Virtualbox or Qemu or Bochs or .. something else ;)

When you are using an emulator, you need to attach a virtual floppy (kolibri.img), to get your new kernel into kolibri.img, you need a program such as Winimage.

There is an article about how to use KolibriOS in Qemu here: http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Setting_ ... u_manager)
    Last edited by hidnplayr on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Hi,
    I'm compiling the kernel on Ubuntu (make lang=en), but I get this error:

Code: Select all

--- building 'bin/drivers/viasound.obj' ...
    flat assembler  version 1.70.03  (65536 kilobytes memory)
    error: source file not found.
    make: *** [drivers] Error 255

I looked in bin/drivers and viasound.obj is not there.
  • There's some problems on our SVN, it seems that someone deleted /drivers/viasound.asm and didn't fixed makefile. May be viasound.asm is obsolete, I don't know. You can fix this issue by creating empty viasound.asm in /drivers
  • Ok.
    Thank you.
  • Solved!

Only to notify:
    same error with vmode.obj and vt823(x).obj (the source is vt823x.asm).
  • Other error:

Code: Select all

*** building skins ...
    /bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to skin
    --- building 'bin/skins/default.skn' ...
    flat assembler  version 1.70.03  (65536 kilobytes memory)
    error: source file not found.
    make: *** [skins] Error 255

• Try
    make kernel lang=en

This should produce un-packed kernel.mnt file, which you can pack with kerpack utility. It seems that makefile in "kernel/trunk" is kind of obsolete. Skins are in /skins, not /kernel, as you may noticed.
  • SoUrcerer wrote:There's some problems on our SVN, it seems that someone deleted /drivers/viasound.asm and didn't fixed makefile. May be viasound.asm is obsolete, I don't know. You can fix this issue by creating empty viasound.asm in /drivers
    Problems are not with SVN but with makefile indeed.
  • SoUrcerer wrote:Try
    make kernel lang=en

This should produce un-packed kernel.mnt file, which you can pack with kerpack utility. It seems that makefile in "kernel/trunk" is kind of obsolete. Skins are in /skins, not /kernel, as you may noticed.
    Thank you.
    I have corrected the "makefile" comparing with the file "build.bat".