Works great - except for video resolution. Help?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hi JaybirdC,

I hoped someone else replies, I'm not an expert in VGA related stuff.
    JaybirdC wrote:I fired up Kolibri OS 0.7.7 from a CD
    Did you really try 0.7.7.0 release from 2009 or it was a fresh nightbuild aka 0.7.7.0+?
    JaybirdC wrote:When I booted, Kolibri gave me only 3 video options: one 320x200 and two 640x480 - and it auto-selected the better 640x480 with plenty of colours. I tried re-booting several times, with the same result. Then I went into the system screen and used the "Video options" icon. The panel displayed was blank - no options whatsoever.
    KolibriOS can't change VESA modes on the fly. AFAIK, this application works together with VGA card specific drivers which don't exist for your card.
    JaybirdC wrote:I found a debug screen that said my VESA was recognized - I hope that info might help.
    If you mean PCIDEV program, what are VendorID/DeviceID columns for you card. Also, you can find a VESA version supported by hardware on the blue boot screen, is it 2.0?
    JaybirdC wrote:The only other problem was the DEBUG panel. It shakes, is unstable and difficult to read.
    Could you describe in more detail, please? It may be hard to read because of a number of logs at system start. What do you mean by unstable, does it crash?
  • Thanks for your interest, dunkaist. Much appreciated.

(1) It was a fresh nightbuild - not a 2009 version.
    (2) I'll get back to you on the PCIDEV program and VESA version - I'm not at home right now. I THINK the VESA is 3.0 - not sure.
    (3) The DEBUG panel: It looked like a different video mode to the rest. Letters were small and very sharp. Screen was black, print was white. It did not crash, but flickered badly - as if the refresh rate was wrong. This was the only program that behaved that way. The rest displayed in 640x480. Images, in graphics programs (e.g. viewer) were "stretched".

I'm beginning to think there might be something proprietary about the IBM on-board graphics that Kolibri doesn't like. Perhaps a different brand of computer... (which I don't have, right now.) Although I have several live Linux CDs and they're all fine - no video problems.

J.
  • You could try kolibri os within qemu, virtualbox or vmplayer. I guess your hardware is not supported correctly. Maybe you can get the bios to set it to vesa 2.0?!?