Dual boot Windows 8.1/KolibriOS?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Your computer most likely uses UEFI firmware instead of BIOS.
    If this is the case, you cannot run KolibriOS on it unfortunately.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • There is no way to disable UEFI? I have been able to boot from Linux before.
  • UEFI is not just a feature, it's a firmware system, like BIOS is another (older) firmware system.
    Linux has UEFI support, KolibriOS does have this (yet).
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • If you can set the bios of your PC to boot from a USB flash drive,
    then you can preview the progress of KolibriOS without affecting your own operating system.
    Download ftp://kolibrios.org/users/seppe/kinst.exe to a USB flash drive,
    and run it from there with administrator rights.
    The application installs the English version of kolibri OS release 5127.
    The USB flash drive should boot on any x86 PC. Enjoy . . .
    Screenshot of kinst.exe
    Kinst.jpg (12.17 KiB)
    Screenshot of kinst.exe Viewed 6478 times
    Feedback is apreciated.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • Foxxy wrote:There is no way to disable UEFI? I have been able to boot from Linux before.
    Some brands (like my HP650 laptop) let you choose between UEFI or legacy bios.
    Other brands (like my new Packard Bell) only sypport UEFI.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet, college started. Anyway, I tried the utility on my 16gb Cruzer flashdrive, and attempted to boot from it. Not only did it not boot from it, but it doesn't even seem to attempt to. It just loads Windows 8.1.
  • Foxxy wrote:I tried the utility on my 16gb Cruzer flashdrive, but it doesn't boot.
    If the kinst.exe application showed the success message, then your flashdrive became a Kolibri boot drive.
    Now you need to instruct your PC to boot from your flashdrive (in legacy bios mode) when your pc starts up.
    If you search for "how to boot legacy bios" on google you will find several helpfull sites.
    The method (keys and menu's) depends on the brand of your pc.
    As an example the site for "acer" : http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answer ... -to-legacy
    As I mentioned before, some newer brands dont support legacy bios.
    Hope this helps. Please let us know.
    Greetings from Seppe