Ring buffers in userland

Internal structure and you change requests/suggestions
  • Hi hidnplayr,
    hidnplayr wrote:Does anyone know
    Not me :D

I'm not sure I understood your question. Do you want something like io_uring?
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_ ... timization

Analog to create_ring_buffer in kernel, but accessible from application/libraries.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • After reading this post I managed to get two adjacent virtual pages mapped to the same physical page, RW accessible from the application:

Code: Select all

stdcall user_alloc, 0x2000
    <-lin

call alloc_page
    <-phys

stdcall map_page, lin, phys, PG_UWR
    stdcall map_page, lin+0x1000, phys, PG_UWR

May be it makes sense to create create_ring_buffer_user and create_ring_buffer_common and move most part of create_ring_buffer to the latter one.
  • dunkaist wrote:After reading this post I managed to get two adjacent virtual pages mapped to the same physical page, RW accessible from the application:

Code: Select all

stdcall user_alloc, 0x2000
    <-lin

call alloc_page
    <-phys

stdcall map_page, lin, phys, PG_UWR
    stdcall map_page, lin+0x1000, phys, PG_UWR

May be it makes sense to create create_ring_buffer_user and create_ring_buffer_common and move most part of create_ring_buffer to the latter one.
    Problem I see is that "stdcall user_alloc" gives us virtual memory that is already mapped to physical memory.
    (And didn't find yet how/where it is mapped.)

Also, how to undo everything when we're done?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • hidnplayr wrote:Problem I see is that "stdcall user_alloc" gives us virtual memory that is already mapped to physical memory.
    Doesn't user_alloc allocates memory lazily, i.e. only virtual pages immediately, physical pages in PF handler?
    If this is the case, then it is clear why you didn't find where user_alloc works with physical pages.
    hidnplayr wrote:Also, how to undo everything when we're done?
    Again, I'm just interpreting this post.
    I see that user_free calls free_page too. Isn't it enough?
  • dunkaist wrote:
    hidnplayr wrote:Problem I see is that "stdcall user_alloc" gives us virtual memory that is already mapped to physical memory.
    Doesn't user_alloc allocates memory lazily, i.e. only virtual pages immediately, physical pages in PF handler?
    If this is the case, then it is clear why you didn't find where user_alloc works with physical pages.
    It seems you are right. Allocation is done in "page_fault_handler" in memory.inc
    It explains the magic bit flag '2' sometimes referred to in the code as 'reserved'.

Thanks!